2013年6月5日星期三

Week 6 Visual arts Lecture: Puppetry

Before having the puppetry lecture this week, I did not think of using puppets as one kind of teaching tools in classroom. Our guest speaker Key Yasugi introduced different types of puppets and how they could be used for different teaching purposes. 


After reviewing the history of puppetry development, it was interesting to notice the role that puppets play in many different cultures. Though puppets have never been used when I was in primary school, I still watched many puppetry drama about fairy tales, such as the well-known traditional Chinese shadow puppetry drama of Monkey King and Journey to the West. As Kay Yasugi mentioned in her lecture, puppetry is a great way to bring more reticent or shy children out of their shells, puppets could be more than toys to students. puppetry could be a teaching tool as well as an effective learning tool in classroom. However, it is necessary for us as future teachers to remember that the way we use puppetry is more important to students. A puppet is any inanimate object that is manipulated so as to appear animate(Buchanan, 2010), so teachers needs to think of the movement they made with puppets and the puppets characterization as well as the communication between puppet and puppet or puppet and people.

As a part-time Mandarin teacher, I found having a puppet teacher was very engaging for teaching and student learning. I also showed students some videos of traditional Chinese Shadow puppetry dramas. Puppetry performance is not just used for telling history, it is history. 

The following video is the video I used to teach students the story of Journey to the West:


one scene of Chinese puppetry: Monkey King


In addition, there are many good lesson plans provided by Matt Buchanan about teaching with puppetry. The teaching ideas and lesson plans are sorted by age level, lesson type and cross-curricular content, which made all the resources clear for other teachers to search and use. The link of the website is: http://www.childdrama.com/lessons.html


Reference:
Buchanan, M. (2010) Puppets in Drama Classroom. Retrieved fromhttp://www.childdrama.com/puppets.html

没有评论:

发表评论